Saturday, June 25, 2011

On Exhibit





   The other day I went with Holotta Tymes to the Market Street Gallery in San Francisco to check out the Heroes with Bling exhibit. The exhibit is of a series of photos taken by the amazing Jose A. Guzman Colon and the talented Marianne Larochelle and a series of amazing Drag Queen mosaics by Michael Kruzich.  The reason we were going is that Holotta was part of this exhibit.

   Michael Kruzich had made this beautiful mosaic of Holotta Tymes and when I say beautiful, I mean beautiful. He had captured the image of Holotta so well and brought so many dimensions to it. You can spend forever looking at the piece examining the details, the texture and colors that he used. It is an amazing piece of artwork! Holotta was so honored to be the inspiration for this.

   The thing that amazed me was that Michael used one of my photos as the basis for this great mosaic. I think I was more honored then Holotta was. I still cannot believe how well Michael captured the photo.  I might me a little bias, but I have to say that it was the best one!

   This is not the first time this photo has been put out there in the public either. I am lucky to have it used in the advertising for Sunday’s A Drag at the Harry Denton’s Starlight Room. It is on the flyer for the show and gets used in the ads that they publish in local magazines and newspapers.

   Also, while at the event, Holotta got to see the photo that Marianne Larochelle took of her for the first time. It is in a great photo book put together by Marianne and Jose A. Guzman Colon called Glam Gender. The book is a series of photos that takes the standard rules of gender and throws them out the door! It is a must for any gay coffee table! The photo of Holotta is of her standing in front of a Victorian home. It is a great image that congers up the ideals of San Francisco, drag queens and the expression of life all into one photo. Jose and Marianne are both great photographers to look up to and are amazingly talented.

   If you have the opportunity to check out Heroes with Bling, you should! It is going on only to the 29th of June at the Market Street Gallery at 1554 Market Street in San Francisco. Also, look for the book Glam Gender at Books Inc in the Castro or at Retro Fit. You can also check it out at www.glamgender.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment