Thursday, May 31, 2012

Continuing Confessions Of A Twirly Boy


    

Yes ma’am, I do know how to handle my pole.

    This is becoming one of my responses when I am asked if I am any good at pole dancing. In addition, you should see the faces I get from people when I tell them I pole dance.  Some people look at me like I am an alien and I have had a few the look as if they would like a private pole dance from me. Regardless of how they look at me, none of them ever expects it.

    Pole Dancing has become a way for me to have fun, get exercise and push my boundaries. I am doing things on a pole that I would never thought of being able to do just a few months ago. I am actually even starting to get inverted on the pole and just did my first hand stand ever a couple of weeks ago. With that being said, I do not get too surprised by some of the looks I get, because I am a little surprised that I am pulling some of these moves off myself.



    One thing I have noticed is that when most people learn that I pole dance, I have just thrown their whole image of pole dancing off kilter. While pole dancing has been rapidly growing in popularity as a great form of exercise, most still think of a topless girl spinning around a pole in a seedy strip club. Now they are looking at a man who is almost forty and far from having the physique of Channing Tatum and… well, they are not sure what to think anymore. It is now that they are interested and want to know more and start asking questions.

    “Do you like it?”

    “How long have you been doing it?”

    “Where do you go to do it?”

    “Have you lost weight?”

    And, of course, “Are you any good at it?”

    Now if it is a guy I am taking to, I also get the questions like, “Isn’t that for girls?” and “Are you the only guy in the class?”  I inform them while male pole dancer are outnumbered by women there are several that take pole dancing and even compete in pole competitions. I also have been the only guy in my class for a couple of months but a couple of other guys have joined in the last month. If a guy tries giving me a hard time about pole dancing, I just tell him I spend my Monday evenings with a group of fine ladies working out some hot and sexy moves. I then ask them that do they do with themselves on a Monday night.

    I also think that I get some strange looks from people that know me, because this is a little out of the norm for me. A lot of people have come to expect me to be out with my husband, Dale. I guess in a lot of ways, I have always let him take the lead on things we do together. So, now people are seeing me do something without Dale and that I think, kind of surprises them.

     I know I have sparked people’s interest. I can see in their faces that they are even thinking about if they can do it. Still, most respond, I wish I could do that or I don’t have the strength to pole dance. I respond if I did it you can do it. In a few months, I have gone from hardly getting any exercise to being able to get myself into an inverted position.

    At the end of the day though, it does not matter what others think or what kind of looks they give me. This is about me, this is about me bettering myself and doing something I enjoy. The sore muscles, the bruises, the sweat is all worth the end result. It all shows that I know how to work my pole.  


No comments:

Post a Comment